6 Simple Tips for Filing an Extension

in Financial Planning by

The April 15 tax filing deadline is fast approaching! However, if you don’t think you can finish your 1040 tax return by then, there is no reason to panic. You can simply file an extension, which will give you six additional months (until October 15) to file your tax return. Here are some tips to make filing an extension is quick and easy.

Complete IRS Form 4868
To get a six month extension to file your income tax return, all you need to do is complete IRS Form 4868 – Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (you can get a copy here). Note that the name on the form says “Automatic Extension.” You don’t even need to provide a reason – just complete the form. However, you must file the Form 4868 by April 15 or you may be subject to a Late Filing Penalty.

This is an Extension to File, Not an Extension to Pay
While completing and filing Form 4868 will automatically get you a six month extension to file your tax return, there is no extension for paying any taxes you may owe. When completing Form 4868, you will be asked to estimate your tax liability and indicate the tax payments you have already made. If there is a balance due, you must pay that balance by April 15. If you don’t pay the remaining tax due, or if you underestimate the taxes you owe, you’ll be subject to a Late Payment Penalty (usually ½ of 1% of any tax not paid by April 15, assessed each month or part of a month that the remaining tax is not paid). If you overestimate your tax due and overpay, the overpayment will be refunded when you file your tax return. If you expect that you are due a tax refund, then no payment needs to be made when you file your extension.

There is No Increased Audit Risk When Filing an Extension
Some people fear filing an extension, thinking this will put them at additional risk for a tax audit. This is simply not true. The IRS has many programs and flags to identify tax returns for additional scrutiny. (Related Post: Top 10 Common IRS Audit Flags.) An extension is not one of those flags. Filing your tax return on extension puts you at no greater risk for an audit than if you filed before the April 15 deadline.

Make Sure You Get a Confirmation
It is a good idea to get a confirmation that the IRS received your request for an extension. A simple way to do this is to e-file Form 4868. This can be easily done with many online tax preparation software systems, or through your professional tax preparer. If you choose to file your Form 4868 by paper and snail mail, you should send it certified mail or with delivery confirmation.

Don’t Forget Your State
If you need to file a tax return for any of the 43 states (and/or the District of Columbia) that has an income tax, you can also get an extension for your state tax return. But, many states require that you complete a separate extension form with them. And, like the IRS extension, it is only an extension to file, not an extension to pay your taxes. Check your state tax authority’s website for their process.

Special Rules Apply to the Military
If you’re in the military, the IRS offers even more flexibility on filing extensions. For example, if you are in the military overseas, the IRS automatically gives you two months longer to file your return without an extension. The IRS will not assess penalties or interest on any tax due during those two months. And, there is even more flexibility for those deployed in a combat zone. (For more information, see this article published by the IRS.)

Gene Salo is Senior Director at TaxSimple, an online do-it-yourself tax preparation program designed to make filing your personal income taxes easy and convenient.

The following two tabs change content below.
Gene Salo

Gene Salo

Gene “Geno” Salo has worked in the tax industry across a variety of roles for over 20 years. His current position is Senior Director over Tax Simple, an online do-it-yourself tax preparation program designed to make filing your personal income taxes easy and convenient. Geno also serves on the Board of Directors for CERCA (Council for Electronic Revenue Communication Advancement) and is a member of the Free File Alliance, a partnership between the software industry and the IRS to provide free tax return preparation options to consumers. Geno has an MBA from the University of Michigan and is a veteran of the US Air Force. Geno contributes blog articles for Tax Simple customers, and also delivers specialized content direct to tax professionals and CPAs.
Gene Salo

Latest posts by Gene Salo (see all)

One Response

  1. SRJ

    A great informative post you shared on this page about calculating the tax returns of a successful business easily by using online system softwares , I read this post and remember the best points especially ” customer service management ” mentioned in this article which help me for running a business successfully with the help of professional accounting .If you want to start a business successfully then you must read this article carefully and keep it in your mind all the best points of a great article which help you to running a business successfully with the professional accountant .


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Disclaimer. This Website may contain links to third-party websites. These links are provided solely as a convenience to you and does not imply an affiliation, sponsorship, endorsement, approval, investigation, verification, or monitoring by PCAC of the contents on such third-party websites. Please be advised that PCAC is not responsible for the content of any website owned by a third party.