U.S. stocks closed mostly up with the NASDAQ slightly down on Friday. The Dow closed at a weekly gain for the first time in 3 weeks. Headlines emerged around hopes for tax reform, debt ceiling debate, and Hurricane Harvey. Janet Yellen’s comments around the financial system and health of the economy could help boost the markets for a positive close on the week.
S&P 500: 2,443.05 (+.74%)
FTSE All-World ex-US: (+1.4%)
US 10 Year Treasury Yield: 2.17% (+.02%)
Gold: $1,291 (+.4%)
EUR/USD: $1.19 (+.17%)
- Monday – Johnson & Johnson was ordered to pay $417 million in trial over talc cancer risks
- Tuesday – Chevron CEO John Watson to step Down
- Wednesday – Mutual funds mark down Uber investments by up to 15%
- Thursday – Amazon to cut prices at Whole Foods starting Monday when the merger is complete
- Friday – Oil prices close up due to the anticipation of Hurricane Harvey hitting refineries on the coast of Texas.
With all the unpredictability in the market and the environment, it’s important to focus on the things you can control. Make sure you are taking the right steps in organizing your financial life. One way to organize, is to ensure you have a will. And as luck would have it, it’s National Make a Will month.
Although people tend to think planning a will is morbid, it’s actually about life and making sure that your assets provide support for the people you love. It isn’t about controlling from the grave, it’s about creating opportunities that continue to give benefit for years to come.
According to a recent Gallup poll, only 44% of Americans have a will. Are you one of the majority who doesn’t have one?
Death and dying are never fun subjects, but not having a will can make them even more dismal. Creating a will allows your wishes to be clearly stated, and it helps your beneficiaries divide your assets and take care of any outstanding debts. As National Make a Will Month ends, use this time to understand the importance of having a will and take the steps to either create or update one.
Amin Dabit, CFP®
Latest posts by Amin Dabit, CFP® (see all)
- Financial Planning Shouldn’t Be Frightening - October 30, 2017
- How Much Money Do I Need to Retire Comfortably? - October 12, 2017
- The Trump Tax Reform Outline and What You Should Be Asking - September 30, 2017