Market Digest – Week Ending 2/24/2017
U.S. and international stocks were up for the week, with over a 1% gain on Wednesday in the U.S. markets. The S&P 500 was up 0.75% for the week. U.S. capital markets stay on an upwards swing with several Fed officials this week painting an upbeat picture of the U.S. economy. Traders have priced in a 76% chance of a rate hike this month.
S&P 500: 2,383 (+.75%)
FTSE All-World ex-US: (+0.43%)
US 10 Year Treasury Yield: 2.48% (+.04%)
Gold: $1,234 (+1.8%)
USD/EUR: $1.0619 (+0.9%)
- Monday – Apple is now one of Warren Buffett’s top stocks and Tesla gets downgraded to “sell” by Goldman Sachs
- Tuesday – The president’s first Congressional Address
- Wednesday – Dow closes above 21,000 as stocks post best day of 2017
- Thursday – Snapchat IPO closes with a 40% gain
- Friday – Fed Chair Yellen indicates a rate hike likely in March
If you haven’t done so already, it’s time to get your tax items lined up and filed, or sent to your CPA. Below is a list of the main tax documents you’ll need to have organized to file your taxes.
- W-2 Forms for wages, salaries, and tips
- All forms 1099 for interest, dividends, retirement, miscellaneous income, Social Security, state and local refunds, gambling winnings, etc.
- Brokerage statements showing transactions of security sales
- Schedule K-1 from partnerships, S corporations, estate and trusts
- Statements supporting deductions for mortgage interest, taxes and charitable contributions, medical expenses
- Health care coverage from 1098-C
- Copies of closing statements if you had any real estate transactions
- Legal paperwork for adoption, divorce, or separations including dependent custody
We are looking forward to sharing more information to help you become more tax efficient. Stay tuned for some upcoming tax guides to help you optimize your taxes throughout the tax season and beyond.
Amin Dabit, CFP®
Latest posts by Amin Dabit, CFP® (see all)
- Financial Planning Shouldn’t Be Frightening - October 30, 2017
- How Much Money Do I Need to Retire Comfortably? - October 12, 2017
- The Trump Tax Reform Outline and What You Should Be Asking - September 30, 2017