Personal Capital uses technology that combines real-time financial account aggregation, investor profile data, and a Monte Carlo projection engine to identify optimal asset allocation. Our innovation raises the bar for the financial advisory industry.
Two things make this groundbreaking and important for individual investors like you:
- It is truly personalized, based on your actual cash flows. The Monte Carlo engine helps show how much growth you need, and how much risk really makes sense for you.
- The use of account aggregation keeps your plan on track and updated. By having a real-time balance sheet and an easy one-stop place to enter your retirement goals, it is realistic to know when your asset allocation should change.
Asset allocation is one of the most important drivers of investment success, but for most people the process is sloppy and arbitrary. Most “do-it-yourself” investors fall into a random asset allocation based on a collection of historical purchases.
Target date funds are a crude step in the right direction because they use some actual data (e.g. expected retirement date), but are too generic to be useful. Those who work with advisors are generally asked a handful of questions and then slotted into a model portfolio. Frequently it is based on little more than age and risk tolerance, and it is rarely updated unless someone complains or leaves.
Using our leading-edge technology, we incorporate these two critical variables (in real-time) in our algorithm:
- Required Growth Rate for individuals who are still working
- Expected Withdrawal Rate for those in or nearing retirement
How it Works
- Our Financial Dashboard tracks what you’ve got and what you owe, and can show you how much you are saving or spending, without any work from you.
- You indicate how much you want to spend each year in retirement. We’ll help figure out how much Social Security you will get, as well as any expected recurring retirement income like pensions or rental income.
- We’ve built a behind-the-scenes Monte Carlo projection engine which calculates:
- How much money you will need to retire and what growth rate you need to achieve it (if you’re still working).
- Your projected withdrawal rate, the percent of your portfolio you will need to spend each year (if you’re retired or close to it).
- Our internal algorithm utilizes these critical outputs in conjunction with traditional factors like age, retirement age, risk tolerance, time horizon, legacy wishes, non-liquid asset values, etc., to recommend an optimal asset allocation. For our Wealth Management clients, our Advisors and Investment Committee add an additional layer of human oversight and review.
Our algorithm is designed to balance your need, ability, and willingness to take risk. Unless indicated otherwise, the primary goal is maximizing the portfolio’s odds of providing for stated retirement spending targets (also known as “not running out of money,” which from our experience is the most common goal for our clients).
Knowing required growth rate and/or withdrawal rate is critical. Any algorithm that ignores them isn’t worth much.
A Retirement Example
Let’s say you’re 40 with a moderate risk tolerance and you want to spend $100,000 per year in retirement. There is a big difference between needing 4% growth and needing 8% up to retirement to be in a position to achieve this. Similarly, if you are 62 and want to spend $100,000 per year, we’ll project your cash flows to see what your average withdrawal rate is.
If you only need 1.5% of your portfolio in withdrawals, you can afford to be conservative if that suits you, or have the option to be aggressive. Your risk tolerance and desire for growth become more important. But if you need 4% withdrawals, diversification trumps other issues to ensure you don’t run out of money. If you need 6%, growth is critical.
Yes, this can theoretically be done manually with a collection of account statements and Monte Carlo software. But let’s face it, you probably don’t know exactly what your balance sheet looks like and you aren’t going to do a four hour retirement plan every year. And your broker definitely won’t do it for you. Now you can have a real-time asset allocation custom designed to fit your cash flow needs as quickly as you can log in to our software. And we’ll show you how your current portfolio compares.
We’re currently responsible for managing investment strategies for thousands of families, and that number is growing every day. That’s why we’re blending cutting edge technology with objective financial advice. We believe this is the best way to empower individuals and their money. With our client-centric business model, Personal Capital is fundamentally altering the traditional financial services landscape.
Craig Birk, CFP®
Latest posts by Craig Birk, CFP® (see all)
- Q2 2018 Market Recap: Trade War Talk Casts a Shadow on Strong Earnings Growth - July 18, 2018
- Weekly Market Digest: How Will Mid-Term Elections Impact the Market? - July 13, 2018
- Capital Markets Review & Commentary - July 10, 2018