Must be a valid email address.
Password must be 8-64 characters.
Must be a valid phone number.
Recession incoming? Here’s how you can prepare.
Daily Capital
Home>Daily Capital>Taxes & Insurance>Tax Deductions For Homeowners

Tax Deductions For Homeowners

Owning property has many advantages and disadvantages – many of these are tax related. Whether you own real estate as a primary residence or an investment property, there are deductions and taxes to consider. Given the changes in tax law, many of these numbers have changed, which will impact previous and new homeowners alike. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the taxes and the tax deductions for homeowners that are important to consider when thinking about buying a home, or when doing your taxes!

Read More: How Will Tax Law Changes Affect Me?

Tax Deductions for Homeowners

You Can Deduct You Cannot Deduct
Prepaid interest deduction – fees paid at closing to lower the APR in the year paid Homeowner insurance payments
Property taxes paid (capped at $10,000) Losses from the sale of personal property
Private mortgage insurance – phase out if adjusted gross income is over $100,000 (homes purchased or refinanced after 2007) HOA fees of personal property

Mortgage Interest Deductions

You can usually deduct the interest you pay on a mortgage if you itemize, which reduces your taxable income by that interest amount. With the new tax law, many homeowners may no longer itemize their deductions, as the standard deduction has increased. If it does make sense to itemize, the limit for deductible mortgage debt is $750,000. This applies to new loans taken out after Dec. 14, 2017. If you have a loan from before that date, you are grandfathered in under the former limit of $1 million. You can also deduct the mortgage interest on a second home, subject to the same limits. If you have questions about whether the new tax law applies to you, check with a financial professional.

Capital Gains Tax Exclusion

If you sell a property you used as a primary residence for two out of the last five years, then you can take $250,000 (single) or $500,000 (married) of gains without paying capital gains taxes. If you have an investment property and have not lived in it for two out of the last five years, then you are subject to the full long-term or short-term gains taxes if you decide to sell and take the profits. You may also able to take depreciation from a rental property to save on taxes. Make sure you have your CPA run the numbers, so you are depreciating the right amount.

State & Local Property Taxes

If you are itemizing your tax return, then you may deduct property taxes you pay on your primary home as well as any other real estate you may own. Property tax deductions are now limited to $10,000.

Did Tax Day sneak up on you? Need more time to file your income taxes? Here are 6 things you need to know about filing an extension.

Read More: Filing a Tax Extension

Disclaimer: The information and content provided herein is general in nature and is for informational purposes only. It is not intended and should not be construed as a specific recommendation, or legal, tax or investment advice, or a legal opinion. Individuals should contact their own professional tax advisors or other professional to help answer questions about specific situations or needs prior to taking action based on this information. Tax laws and authorities are subject to change, either prospectively or retroactively, and any subsequent change could have a material impact on your situation.

The content contained in this blog post is intended for general informational purposes only and is not meant to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice. You should consult a qualified legal or tax professional regarding your specific situation. Keep in mind that investing involves risk. The value of your investment will fluctuate over time and you may gain or lose money.

Any reference to the advisory services refers to Personal Capital Advisors Corporation, a subsidiary of Personal Capital. Personal Capital Advisors Corporation is an investment adviser registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Registration does not imply a certain level of skill or training nor does it imply endorsement by the SEC.

At Personal Capital, RJ works with existing clients to meet their investment, retirement, and financial planning objectives. He also serves on the board of Columbine Two Townhouses Association.
Icon Close

To learn what personal information Personal Capital collects, please see our privacy policy for details.

Ask Us Anything

We want to hear from you.

What finance question is burning a hole in your pocket?

Thank you for sharing what’s on your mind!

Our team will be in touch shortly.